Sunday, May 13, 2012

Mother's Day

I cannot believe how fortunate I am.  Not only do I have an amazing, sensitive, loving, giving, funny, smart and supportive husband. I also have the most adorable, happy, loving baby.  She makes my life complete. 




At nearly 5 and a half months, her personality is really starting to come out. She's silly, stubborn & impatient. She gets distracted  easily (especially when eating).  She has to see everything that's going on around her at all times. She's a watcher.  She also gets frustrated quickly when she's trying to master one of her many new skills.  But she's also very happy.  Greeting me every morning with a big old smile.  Such a great way to start the day!

Evenings are my favorite times with her.  As we go through our night time routine, and I lay her on the changing table for one last diaper, she is grinning and so happy.  Once she’s swaddled and in her crib I wonder if  she’ll be able to fall asleep as animated as she is.  But once I leave the room and turn on the monitor, I hear silence from her, only the sound of her seahorse playing music.  And then she’s out.  She sleeps like a champ. (Knock on wood that it stays this way!) 
I see a lot of my mother in me, now more than ever.  When I hold Carrie Ella at night and read to her, I hear my moms voice, see pictures in my mind of being in her lap, listening to her read to me.  Especially as I yawn mid sentence while reading...that I distinctly remember.  When I play around being silly to entertain Carrie Ella, and she laughs at me like I’m the funniest person in the world, I sometimes feel my mom channeling through me.  I remember how my Mom would horse around, very briefly, before I said my prayers at night when she'd tuck me in.  And I realize how fortunate I am, to have had such an amazing mother, to love me, teach me and keep me safe.  All of who I am, and the mother I will be, I learned from her. 


In a world where there are children who lack for love, food, shelter, education and basic human rights, how fortunate am I? And how fortunate is Carrie Ella? Very.  

Happy mother’s day to my amazing Mom and to all mothers everywhere.

1 comment: